I came into work today and the Beach Boys were on the radio and everyone was whistling and in a generally good mood, which can only mean one thing – it’s the first day of summer!!! I’ve got a big summer planned this year, my brother’s getting married and I’m going to see Lady Gaga and Michael Buble. Even though it’s going to be jam packed with beers on the patio and wedding bells, I plan on reading a ton of fun summer reads in my arctic of an apartment (thank you air conditioning) and outside too! I thought it might be fun to list some of the books I’d really like to read over the summer in honor of the first day of this glorious season! Feel free to leave a list of the books you’re excited to read this summer in the comment box – I always like to find out what all of you are reading!
1. Julie and Julia – Julie Powell – After seeing this movie, I wanted to cook more, bake more and commit to spend some more time in the kitchen, but that phase lasted a week. I loved the movie and I’m sure the book would be equally as enjoyable so I’m very excited to pick this book up from the library this week
2. Oprah – Kitty Kelley – The big O does not like to be in the public eye, but good ‘ol Kitty Kelley has exposed some of the things hidden in Oprah’s skeleton closet and I can’t wait to read all about them!
3. Uncharted terriTori – Tori Spelling – Confession time: I’m a huge fan of Tori Spelling. I don’t think she gets enough credit in the public eye for her talents as an actress, but that’s my opinion. I’ve read her other two books and loved them, so when I heard she had done a third book, I got really excited to hear a little more about her life as a celebrity suburban Mom.
4. The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake – Aimee Bender – Can you imagine being able to bite into something and taste the emotions that went into baking something? Rose Edelstein has this magical gift and I can’t wait to read all about it.
5. No Place like Home – Brooke Berman – I think that I’m really going to enjoy this book about a woman trying to discover her authentic self while moving from apartment to apartment (39 times to be exact)
6. Summer Reading – Hilma Wolitzer – I’ve had this book on my shelf for two years and I somehow always forget to read it during the summer, so I’ve vowed to read this book. It’s all about summer and good books, so I’m sure it’ll be a hit!
7. Red Hook Road – Ayelet Waldman – Two families, one misfortune and four summers… I’m intrigued, are you???
8. Star Island – Carl Hiaason – I’ve yet to read a Carl Hiaason adult novel, so why not start with a novel about celebrity lifestyles and the paparazzi that chase them on a daily basis. I’m a celebrity junkie, so I’m sure I’ll enjoy this novel!
9. Fragile – Lisa Unger – In a rural town outside of New York City, a young girl goes missing and the effects that it has on the girl’s future in laws is the basis of this mystery novel.
10. Lips Unsealed – Belinda Carlisle – A story about the lead singer of the iconic band the Go-Go’s is my idea of a great afternoon. The Go-Go’s partied with the best of the best back in the day, but the toll it took on Belinda Carlisle will all be explained in her tell all memoir.
11. The One that I want – Allison Winn Scotch – Always the optimist Tilly Farmer is the person her family goes to when they need help, but after visiting a fair one day, her future is revealed after going to see a fortune teller. The reading she receives that day has an impact on her future and there may be a couple of things that she’s unable to fix this time.
12. Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand – Helen Simonson – Two unlikely strangers meet and create a friendship that begins to blossom into something romantic, but falling in love with this particular individual cause Major Pettigrew to have to choose between his town and his love. Can’t wait to read this book!!!
So what are you reading this summer fellow bloggers???